Sunday, 20 June 2010

To 'Default' or 'Not To Default'

Dear friends, here is an interesting article on the subject of  Govt. debt. Although it's not directly related to us, as the subject matter is the US Govt. but in a sense it's applicable to any govt. in the world.

So read & enjoy.



Should I redeem my MFs before DTC

In DTC,LTCG is likely to be taxable,may be @5% or 10%.I have investments in funds like R.Growth,H Top200,D Top100etc for last, say about five years.Should I redeem & then reinvest to avoid tax.Should I switch from R.Growth to RSF Equity?Kindly reply in detail.Thanks,urs sincerely


Dear Dr. Lal, First of all. Plz. note these are mere proposals not the act as of now for DTC. The final picture may be different from what we are seeing today.

Regarding your query for redemption - Sample this -

Say you have total basic investment of 5L Rs. as on date where the with profit value is say 8L Rs. It means 3L Rs. is your profit. Now if you redeem these 8L Rs. in full & reinvest the same in same funds. your holding period 'll be counted from the reinvestment date. So in case in future, just after implementation of DTC, you require money due to any reason, the gains if any 'll be STCG & these STCG 'll be taxable at your marginal slab rate. Now If we consider that you are going to hold these units for a long term & 'll redeem after 4-5 more years in DTC, the LTCG 'll be discounted based upon your holding period. In the example given in the new proposals, it seems, higher the holding period, higher 'll be the discount for calculation of LTCG. 

Now interestingly If you don't take any action, the holding period is already eligible for LTCG & as the period is already more than 5Y (by the time, DTC is implemented), the resultant Tax liability 'll be very low. As now after 8-10 years (5Y current holding + 3-5 year more in DTC), your total holding period 'll invite a high %age discount & thus lower tax outgo.

One more Question I want to ask - Due to these DTC proposals, 'll you stop investing from now onwards? In any case, the future is EET. 

Your query is similar to public behavior - Fill the fuel tank of vehicle just b4 the hike in fuel prices. "ll this tank fill last for life long? NO. In any case we 'll continue to use now so called high priced fuel. Same is here in your query.

Plz. don't worry for now & future. Keep Investing. Yes redemption due to under performance should always be done.

Bye Bye & happy investing.



Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Revised ZProposals of Direct Tax code

Dear Friends, here is a quick view of the new proposals of Direct Tax code.

1. PF, PPF, GPF, EPF, NPS & Annuity Plans as well as proceeds from Term plans (Pure Life insurance) 'll be Tax free as per E - E - E. So no Tax at withdraw from these instruments.

2. Home loan Interest benefit on 1.5L Rs. for self occupied property, is retained.

3. The list of permitted savings intermediaries now includes most of the current saving instruments lile - apart from the instruments listed in point 1 above, NSC, ULIPs & Traditional Plans,  ELSS, Bnak Tax saver FDs, Bonds (Possibly Infrastruture bonds)  etc.

4. Long Term capital Gains from shares & Eq. MFs 'll become taxable.

5. No clarity as of now for the earlier proposed Tax slab rates.

This Revised Discussion Paper is available on the following websites: and
Responses to the Revised Discussion Paper should be sent online through the link provided at these websites or at the following e-mail address: Responses are solicited upto 30th June, 2010.



Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Reliance Infrastructure Fund (D)

i have invested in Reliance infra fund (D) now my 1 yr locking going to over... but return is not good....

plz guide me shall i continue to hold or do STP

if i do STP then give me better fund name of Reliance grp for STP...

i have invested 5K in reliace infra fund....



Dear Cshah, In the light of under-performance of Rel. Infra fund, my choice 'll be to switch your money to Rel. RSF Eq. in Growth Option.



Monday, 14 June 2010

Investing for Daughter's marriage

I' m long term invester through mf via sip n top up time to time when market got corrected 5-6 pc from high i have --rel growth rel.regular saving hdfc top 200 Hdfc prudance birla front n mid cap mainly n one sectorial fund rel banking i m 50 years old n have invested in mf since 2004-5 till i have invested 14L n have handsome gain today i need my money after 4 -5 years for my daughter's marriage at present i have very little responsibility n can invest 30k every month more. pl check my portfolio n advise me--when we start withdrawl , can invest more 1-2 years 30-40k every mone in the above mf or any other pl advise my son got job in this years n start to invest in mf for next20-25 years n start with very small amount --rs 3000pm pl dvise mf for him


Ramesh Sahu

Dear Ramesh, To create a corpus specially for your D'ter's marriage, here is my take.

First calculate what 'll be your expenses, if marriage is 2day in 2010? Say the figure comes out around 10L Rs. Now calculate down the line after 5 years, what 'll be the expenses due to impact of inflation say @ 7% rate. For example the figure comes out around 15L Rs. so that's your cut off point for exclusive corpus with a exclusive goal.

The moment, your current fund value reaches that cut off point, redeem at least 50% of your holdings & invest the same in debt funds. I.e. out of your 15L fund value redeem at least 7-8L Rs. & invest the same in debt funds. On the other hand, keep on investing your fresh SIPs in the funds chosen by you.

When the goal is just one year away, redeem sufficient amount from the funds to create the final corpus with out any problem & invest the same in debt fund.

Regarding your choice of funds, I w'd like to replace Birla Midcap with Quantun LTEF.

For your son, you may ask him to invest 1K Rs. each in following funds thru SIPs

HDFC Top 100
Quantum LTEF



Investment by huf in post office schemes like nsc and kisan vikas patra

I understand that Huf can claim deduction U/s 80 C for nsc. But post office accept applications from individual only. More over now copy of Pan card of applicant is required .Now to claim deduction whose Huf`s Pan card or Karta` s pan card is to be submitted.



Dear Friend, Plz. note, now a days only individuals can apply/purchase NSC & KVPs.

HUF under it's own name can't invest.

If a HUF, wants to invest in NSC or KVP, it may do so only under the name of it's members. In this case, the PAN of the member should be produced while applying for NSC or KVP.



How to buy a house

Please suggest me how to buy a house within next 2 years about 35 -40 lakhs cost. How much do I have to invest monthly and which modalities? I am a 35 year old lady and earn about 1 lakh/month, no dependents, have LIC and mediclaim.



Dear maitricee, If you can save 50K Rs. per month from now onwards for next 2 years, the basic principal amount with you 'll be 24m*50k = 12L Rs. With the addition of some return on your investment, you may expect your corpus value around 14L Rs. 

For a house costing 40L Rs. balance 26L Rs. can be availed from a bank home loan.

You should invest in the following fund - Birla MIP II Savings 5 Plan to save for your target amount.



Saturday, 12 June 2010

Tax liability on the sell of a Gifted property

Sir, At what rate will the sale amount of a freely gifted residential land property by one real brother (who owned it for nearly 20 years ) to another brother (Registry also done in his name last year at the time of gift) suffering from malignant grade 4 brain cancer will be taxed if he has to sell it within 3 years of gift being given? Will the holding period of both the brothers will be clubbed in this case and accordingly will the Capital gains be short term or long term and can purchse of new property/investing in tax free NHAI/PFC bonds after selling it help save Capital gains in this case? Sir, an urgent and precise reply will be of immense help in taking decision to sell or not to sell this property.



 Dear Atul, As the property was hold for 20Y by one brother & then gifted to another brother thru registered transferred deed. For your information, the period of holding `ll be considered from the earlier 20Ys & his own holding period for the 2nd brother as the gift is done between two real brothers & it`s acceptable as per income tax rules.

Now thru an example if i assume that the property was purchased in FY 1988-89 by the first brother, & transferred to 2nd brother in 2008-2009 (20Y holding) & now the sell of the land is executed in current FY 2010-2011, the gains `ll be LTCG & `ll be eligible for indexation.

At the same time, the seller of the plot has the option, to either invest the gain amount to purchase a house or to invest in Cap. Gains Tax saving bonds of RES & NHAI.

Plz. feel free to ask if u need more help.



Thanks a tonne for your reply as I had to post this message here as I was not getting answers over google to my query or on the tax pages over there. Actually my CA told me that there are conflicting rulings from IT department over such issues and I did`nt want the issue to be messed up or to pay Short term Capital Gains tax.So in this light do you advise me with going ahead sell of the said property as I would be requiring money ?



Dear Atul, As the gifting was done between 2 real brothers, the gift in question was an immovable property. The property transfer registration was done in the name of recipient of the gift. All the conditions are fulfilled to be eligible for a valid tax free gift.

So the Long Term gains rule `ll apply counting from the original purchase date of the 1st brother (the donor).

As u r in need of money, u may sell ur property. For Cap. Gains part u have the options -

1. Pay LTCG Tax @ 20.6% rate & use remaining amount as per ur requirement
2. Purchase a residential property, priced at least equal to or more than the LTCG amount.
3. Invest the Gain amount in Cap. Gain Saving bonds of NHAI or REC.



Need Insurance Help

Last year i purchased three LIC policies, LIC Endowment policy, Jeewan Surabhi & LIC money back policy. I paid a premium of around 50000 & they gave me a cover of 14 lakh. It was also told to me that these policies will give me a return of 8%, but now a few of the experts suggested that these policies will just give a return of 4 to 5 %. What should i do. Shall i continue with these policies as they diversify my portfolio, or shall i allow these policies & amount ot lapse& i should start investing in ELSS? All the policies that i have took are for 25 & 30 years. I have sufficient term insurance. Kindly guide me in deciding my tax planning for this yearso that i dont repeat the mistake that i have done.


Nagendra Singh Dhani

Dear Nagendra, from your query, it seems you were mis-sold for the policies, you are referring to. In my view, Stop paying more prem. in these policies.

Uou may divert the prem. amount to a better managed pure Debt fund or a low. Eq. exposure MIP fund like Birla MIP II savings 5 fund. The reason lies in your query that you were using these policies for diversification of your portfolio into debt class.

As you already have sufficient term cover, no need to purchase more term cover.



Accumulating gold for Daughter's marriage

I am 32 years old and I have a daughter of 5 years.I plan to accumulate gold for her when she grows to 25.I used to by 10 gram gold and keep it in a locker from last 2 years , but thats of not much use and a bit risky.I have heard there are some MF schemes which has one unit as one gram of gold and the unit value varies as price of gold in market changes.

Please advise me some best fund where I can invest and my money is not in risk.


Dear Sanjay, For your specific need of accumulating Gold for your Daughter's marriage, I 'll like you to invest in Gold ETF. First open a demat acct. & once your demat acct. is open, you may purchase at least 1 UNIT of Benchmark Gold ETF every month. This way you 'll be able to accumulate 12 unit of the fund over a year. 

Plz. understand 1 UNIT of this fund represents 1 gm. physical Gold of 99.995% purity (24 Carat in normal parlance).

From the current age of 5Y of your D'ter, you 'll be able to accumulate a total of around 240-250 gms of gold over next 20Y.



Mutual Fund Portfolio readjustment

I am 45 years old and I have purchased mutual funds as advised by friends without proper guidance of professionals with lack of knowledge. so please do needful assistance for proper portifolio.My risk tolerance is moderate

SIP Investments:

Sundaram Capex oppourtunities fund Rs.500/-
Reliance Growth fund Rs.500/-
Reliance diversified power sector Rs.500/-
HDFC Top 200 Rs.500/- and HDFC equity fund Rs.500/-
IDFC premier equity fund Rs.2,000/-
DSP BR Top 100 equity fund Rs.1,000/-
DSP Equity fund Rs.1,000/-
SBI Contra fund Rs.500/-

Single investments are :

1. TI Growth fund
2. TI equity income fund
3. FI Tax saver (lock on period completed)
4. TI Short term income fund
5. FI Blue chipfund
6. BSL Mid cap fund
7. BSL Dynamic bond fund
8. Tata P/E ratio fund
9. Reliance RSF balanced fund
10.DSP BR Balanced fund
11.IDFC Imperial fund
12.SBI Comma fund
13.BSL Dividend yield
14.HDFC prudence

thanking you sir,


Dear Anant, as ur risk tolerance is moderate, my choice for u 'll be like this -

Sundaram Capex opp. fund Rs.500/- STOP
Reliance Growth fund Rs.500/- OK
Reliance diversified power sector Rs.500/- Stop
HDFC Top 200 Rs.500/- and HDFC equity fund Rs.500/- OK
IDFC premier equity fund Rs.2,000/- OK
DSP BR Top 100 equity fund Rs.1,000/- OK
DSP Equity fund Rs.1,000/- OK
SBI Contra fund Rs.500/- STOP

1. TI Growth fund - OK
2. TI equity income fund - Switch to TI Growth
3. FI Tax saver (lock on period completed) - Switch to TI GRowth
4. TI Short term income fund - SWitch to TI Growth
5. FI Blue chipfund - Switch to TI Growth
6. BSL Mid cap fund - Switch to IDFC Prem. Eq.
7. BSL Dynamic bond fund - OK
8. Tata P/E ratio fund - Switch to DSP Eq.
9. Reliance RSF balanced fund - Switch to HDFC prudence
10.DSP BR Balanced fund - OK
11.IDFC Imperial fund - Switch to HDFC Top 200
12.SBI Comma fund - Switch to DSP Eq.
13.BSL Dividend yield - OK
14.HDFC prudence - OK



Saturday, 5 June 2010

Tax implication on SEBI IPO Reallocation Payment

Q. - In April 2010, I received payment through ECS, through TSR Darashaw, as payment for SEBI IPO Reallocation Amount, as SEBI identified me as an unsuccessful applicant in one or more IPOs covered under inquiry.
Pls. advise, what are the tax implications, on this payment?
Is it to be considered along with normal income or LTCG / STCG?
Pls. advise,

Pratik N. shah

Ans. - Dear Pratik, In my view the IPO refund money u r referring to u should be categorize as Income from other sources & should be added to ur income from all sources & should be taxed accordingly.

The reasons -

1. it's not ur salary income]
2. It's not interest income
3. It's not capital Gains, as no shares were alloted to u & no profit booking later on those shares
4. It's not ur income from business

As the money received by u does n't fall in the above categories, the only left option is income from other sources.

I hope this 'll clear ur as well as other's doubt.



Financial calculators available on WWW.JAGOINVESTOR.COM

Dear friends, here is the link for financial calculators, available on the website Plz. check these financial calculators at least once.

Mr. Manish the owner of the site has done really a good job.

I'll urge to all of u to visit at least once to his site & get the benefit of his work.



My recent posts on Outlook Money Facebook boards

Dear Friends, here r some of my recent posts on OLM FB Board.



Friday, 4 June 2010

Want to take home loan

Dear Friends, here is the link for my latest discussion on outlook money financial planning facebook board. It's about home loan.